Above: getting ready to go. Figuring out how to get 3 kayaks and 3 bikes on the truck without a roof rack was a real challenge. Paul spent weeks trying to figure out how to do it and he did a great job coming up with a solution!
Below: Set up at our campsite. Our first one. When we made our reservations in March there weren't any sites at the State Park open for the entire week. We had to move to the site across the road on Friday.
On our first day we just walked around the park. There are quite a few walking/biking paths.
On our 2nd day we went biking around the park.
We'll be back at this boat dock with the kayaks soon!
We biked to the beach and then just walked. So relaxing.
We drove for about hour to near Charleston the next day and visited Magnolia Plantation and Gardens. We heard this annoying "crying" sound. Found out it was the peacocks! The tour guide said the guy who added to the peacocks to the Gardens worked for NBC.
There are so many bridges here. I lost count. Some don't even go anywhere.
Thankfully the only ones we saw were in cages.
There was a self-guided garden tour with numbers to follow. It was quite a maze. And Daniel was determined to find every number and IN ORDER! There were 45 numbers. We spent most of the day walking the gardens. I definitely got my steps in this day!
Jumping fish!
The plantation house had been burned by the Union troops during the Civil War and this house was built soon after. We got to tour the house, socially distanced and wearing masks.
The peacocks were not shy at all.
Very vain and attention seeking!
"Take my picture!"
"Are you looking at me?"
"Everyone, look at me!!!"
The tour guide told us this guy is named Louis.
I can't remember the name of the female below but she's much less attention seeking.
Back on our quest to find all the numbers.
There's a zoo here. The signs say that the animals were either rescues or animals that had bonded with humans and wouldn't be safe in the wild.
Except the peacocks. They are just here for show.
We go to Brevard, NC all the time and there are pictures of white squirrels everywhere. But we'd never seen a live one before!
I think it's hilarious that they put the poison ivy in the zoo! But it's important to recognize it. We found it at our campsite and at the disc golf course we visited later in the week. Thankfully none of us touched it or reacted.
Real bird
There were so many paths it was difficult to find the numbers in order! But a good exercise in following a map.
Concrete birds
Real bird!
Saw this guy on our way out of the plantation. He wouldn't look at me for a picture.
Then we drove to Charleston to walk around and look at historic buildings.
Saw this antique at the park.
We went kayaking 3 times and saw dolphins every time! But they wouldn't pose for pictures.
Back at the beach. This used to be my favorite thing to do: sit on the beach and read. But now I don't really like sitting still. So I walked along the beach most of the time.
So thankful for air conditioning and protection from the bugs in our RV. Although it was pretty cool for most of the week and we didn't need the ac that much.
Botany Bay
You're not allowed to take shells from this place so people have created art with them!
Why did the bird cross the road? Well, it was just standing in the middle of the road and wouldn't move until we got right up on it!
Back at the Edisto Island state park beach.
I love watching the pelicans.
I didn't get any good pictures of dolphins while we were kayaking but we saw them from the beach this day!
A whole pod following a fishing boat.
That's Daniel out there. The waves kept bringing him in to shore.
And he's beached!
Paul and Daniel played disc golf in the jungle. I started out playing but when my disc landed in poison ivy I dropped out.
The paths were flooded.
Our vacation home.
After being overcast for most of the week, our last couple of days were beautiful and sunny. And hot!
Paul and I walked to the beach and this boat had been beached right at the state park shower house entrance to the beach! We never found out what happened and it was still there the next day.
Daniel just found (July 8th) an article online that said it was a shrimp boat that has the propeller caught in the nets and had been anchored off shore but the anchor came undone and it drifted to the beach. No one was on board when it beached. They had to dismantle it to get it off the beach. https://walterborolive.com/stories/beached-shrimp-boat-dismantled,32410
On our last day kayaking I finally caught a little bit of a dophin on video. I slowed the video way down so you could see it.
Did you see it? Probably not. I took a screen shot of it from the video:
I promise it really was a dolphin! :-)
On our drive home the RV blew out a tire on the interstate.
Waiting for the tow truck to help us change it. It was hot!


























































No comments:
Post a Comment